1 cup almond or walnut flour, grind it yourself
1 cup oats, ground into flour
1 cup corn flour
2 tablespoons flaxseeds
1 cup homemade nut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of honey
1 recipe strawberry rhubarb jam
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind cornmeal in a blender. This will leave you with corn flour. Then grind oats in a blender this will give you with oat flour. Combine almonds, walnuts, or both in a blender and grind until it looks like a streusel. Mix all the flour in a bowl and set aside.
- Put the flax seeds in a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Then add 1/4 cup of water and blend again. Finally, add the homemade nut milk and blend one last time.
- Pour the liquid flax seed mixture over the flour. Add the honey and salt. Mix well.
- Working with a tablespoon of the batter, roll the dough into a ball and place it down on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Press your thumb in the center of the ball to make an indent for the jam and to flatten the cookie.
- Put a teaspoon of jam in each cookie. I used Rhubarb because it is the end of the Rhubarb season but you can use any type of jam you want. Bake the cookies for ten to twelve minutes depending on how crispy you like the edges.
Homemade nut milk
5 cups of water
3/4 cups of dates
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 a cup of almonds
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds to a minute.
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
1 tbsp butter
5 stalks of Rhubarb
4 tablespoons of sugar
1 lemon peel
3 1-inch pieces of ginger smashed
2 cups of strawberries
- Cut the end off the Rhubarb. The ends have been touching the leaves, which are poisonous so be sure to take them off. Cut the Rhubarb into little pieces. The smaller you cut them, the quicker they cook.
- Heat a pan. Once it is hot add 1 tablespoon of butter this will prevent the rhubarb from sticking. Once the butter is hot add the Rhubarb and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Cut and smash the ginger. Smashing the ginger helps extract flavor. Add the ginger to the Rhubarb. With a peeler, peel the lemon skin into the pan. Now it is time to add the strawberries. Cook for another two minutes or until the Rhubarb is soft.
- When it is soft, pull the ginger out and put the mixture into a food processor. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and puree for 15 seconds. Once it is smooth, put it back into the pan.
- Allow it to cook for another 10 minutes. Watch it carefully and stir it frequently, it can easily burn. When it is finished cooking transfer it into a bowl. Allow the jam to cool until it reaches room temperature and then put it in the refrigerator.