The corn season is almost over. Yesterday was a gloomy day and I decided to make a hearty corn soup. The soup is fragrant, but most importantly, it’s easy to make.
6 Naked ears of corn
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Salt
1/8 cup Herbs Thyme and Basil
1 bay leaf
2 dried chili d’arbol, seeds removed
- Slice one onion.
- Put a big pot on a hot flame.
- Once the pot is hot, add the olive oil. When the olive oil is shimmering, add the onions and start creating your seasoning by adding salt and pepper. It is important to start creating the seasoning early because it creates balance in the dish. Even the best chefs around make the mistake of waiting until the end to season a dish. Usually this offsets the flavor of the dish because the seasoning is not balanced.
- Now it is time to add the potato, which gives body to the stock. Cut the potato into cubes and add it and the chili to the onions.
- At this point, cut the corn kernels off the stalks. Once all the stalks are bare, break each stalk in half and put them in the pot.
- Brown the stalks for a few minutes and then add 10 cups of water.
- Next add the herbs and bay leaf.
- Bring the stock to a boil and then turn it down to simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Once the stock is done, strain it into another pot and set aside
The Corn Soup (Vegan)
All of the corn kernels
3 large carrots, diced
6 cups of the corn stock
2 tbsp olive oil
- Dice the carrots.
- Saute the carrots in the olive oil for 5 minutes until they are warm and tender.
- Add the corn and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Cover the corn and carrots with the corn stock and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender until it becomes foamy. The soup does not have to be completely smooth. At this point, stop pureeing it and cook it for another few minutes.
- Serve it with Avocado Cream
1/2 an avocado
2 tablespoons cashews
1/2 cup of the corn stock
1 tbsp olive oil
a few pinches of salt
2 tablespoons parsley
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend for 20 seconds.
Variation use Crème fraiche instead of cashews