There is something everyone loves about the perfect waffles. Light and fluffy, a good waffle makes a perfect breakfast. Although these vegan, gluten-free waffles aren’t exactly reminiscent of the ones I had in France, they are really good and you can eat them guilt free.
2 1/2 cups oat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar or honey
1 3/4 cup almond milk or any kind of plain yogurt
2 eggs, separated
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup blueberries (optional)
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate (optional)
1/4 cup of chopped almonds (optional)
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and set it aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk and egg yolks together, then add the oil, vanilla, and sweetener of your choice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Beat the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid until you see soft peaks. This takes about 45 seconds on high speed.
- Then fold the egg whites into the batter.
- At this point, add any of the optional items. If you want them plain but your kids want chocolate, make yours first and then add the optional items.
- Ready to make the waffles? Grease the waffle iron. Then put a ladle of batter onto the hot iron.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with hot maple syrup, yogurt, jam, nuts, or fresh fruit.