Summer is over but some of summer’s greatest produce is still in season. Today we are going back to the basics with a great salad and a simple dressing. You can multiply the dressing by 5 and use it every day of the week. Dressing is so easy to make, there is no reason to ever buy one at the store.
1 teaspoon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl that you will serve your salad and whisk for 30 seconds.
1/2 pound mixed baby greens or lettuce of your choice
2 medium heirloom tomatoes
8 green olives, pitted
1/2 large avocado or a hole medium one
2 pieces of bread for homemade croutons
- Toast the Bread. Once it is hot, cut the bread into little cubes.
- Heat a pan. Once it is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is hot put the bread in with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. Once the bread is crispy, turn off the pan and set the croutons aside.
- Put the lettuce in the bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Dice up the avocado, cucumber, and olives and add them to the bowl.
- Season the Salad with salt and pepper and mix it. You know a salad is mixed well if there is no dressing on the bottom of the bowl.
- Serves Four