1 bunch of beets- about 4 cups
3 to 4-fingerling potatoes- about 2 ½ cups
3 cloves of diced garlic
6 twigs of thyme
3 twigs of rosemary
¼ cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon of granulated sugar (optional)
- Pre heat an oven to 350 degrees.
- I don’t like beet skin and it is impossible to peel off after the roast since I cut them so thin, so I peel the beet. After you have done that, cut them and the potatoes into equally sized matchsticks. Make sure to cut everything uniformly so that it cooks evenly.
- In a bowl, drizzle the oil and vinegar on top of the veggies.
- Sprinkle the herbs and garlic on top.
- Add salt, pepper, and the sugar.
- Mix the beets and potatoes around to ensure that they are all covered with the seasoning.
- Put them in aluminum foil and seal tightly. If you want them to cook faster put them in two different packages.
- Put the packages in the oven for forty-five minutes.
- When the timer goes off, you should be able to put a table knife through the veggies as easily as if you were cutting through soft butter.
- Serve while hot.
Note… If you don’t finish this dish in one sitting save it for the next day and add it to a salad.
Variation: In the springtime, add spring onions and asparagus to the mix.
Be sure you check out my new post on the Gardening Page